TOPIK stands for Test of Proficiency in Korean, which is a standardized test for assessing the proficiency of non-native speakers in the Korean language. It is the official language proficiency test for Korean language in South Korea, and it is also recognized by many universities and employers worldwide.
TOPIK is administered by the National Institute for International Education (NIIED), which is part of the Ministry of Education of South Korea. The test is usually conducted twice a year in April and October. in various test centers around the world.
What does TOPIK consist of?
The test consists of two sections: the first section evaluates input skills (listening and reading), while the second section assesses output skills (writing and speaking).
TOPIK includes TOPIK-I (beginner level 1 and 2) and TOPIK-II (intermediate level 3 to 6). The passing marks for each level of TOPIK are as follows:
Beginner Level TOPIK-I
- TOPIK Level 1: a score of 80 out of 200 points or higher is required to pass. Able to use basic survival commands in Korean. Able to understand and express simple everyday sentences. Master approximately 800 basic vocabulary.
- TOPIK Level 2: a score of 140 out of 200 points or higher is required to pass. Able to discuss familiar topics and distinguish between different speech levels. Master approximately 1,500∼2,000 words.
Intermediate Level TOPIK-II
- TOPIK Level 3: a score of 120 out of 300 points or higher is required to pass. Able to maintain social relations in Korean and understand correct word usage.
- TOPIK Level 4: a score of 150 out of 300 points or higher is required to pass. Understand news, social issues, and other abstract topics with accuracy in Korean. Familiar with Korean culture and idioms.
- TOPIK Level 5: a score of 190 out of 300 points or higher is required to pass. High fluency in professional research or work. Able to understand and discuss difficult and unfamiliar topics.
- TOPIK Level 6: a score of 230 out of 300 points or higher is required to pass. Absolute fluency in professional research and work.
How Long does it Take to Pass TOPIK
How long do you need to learn Korean in order to pass TOPIK? It depends. For beginners, it can take several months to a year to reach the level required to pass TOPIK-I, while intermediate and advanced learners may need 2-3 years of study or even more to pass TOPIK-II.
However, this timeline is not set in stone, and the actual time it takes to pass the TOPIK can vary greatly based on your personal study habits, language learning experience, dedication, etc. Consistent and focused practice, immersion in the language, and using effective study materials can all help you speed up the learning process and improve your chances of passing the TOPIK in a shorter amount of time.
Who Should Take the TOPIK Test?